Moments in Costa Rica

Thursday 30 November 2017


This post is long overdue but I thought I would finally share some pictures from my month long trip to Central America. As a European, I often feel that Central America is a very overlooked destination and one that sort of gets lost on the map. However, times are changing and it is definitely becoming a more sought after location, but still an area that remains largely untouched compared with the likes of South East Asia and South America.


I will be the first to admit that I was a little daunted about the prospect of travelling to Central America. Unlike with India and other parts of Asia, it is not a region that has a huge amount of travel information and advice online. Plus, with little to no Spanish speaking skills I knew solo travel wouldn't be easy and so I opted to go on a group tour of the region. This is honestly something I would never usually consider as I really love independent travel. However, it made life so much easier and although group travel comes with its downfalls, there were some experiences I would never have been able to find on my own.


Our first stop was San Jose in Costa Rica, where we had a couple of days to chill before meeting the group and heading north. San Jose is a small capital city and in total honesty there is not a huge amount to see. We spent most of our days walking around the city admiring the street art, eating great food in veggie cafes and took a trip to the butterfly sanctuary in the main museum. 


Our next stop after San Jose was La Fortuna, where we were finally immersed in Costa Rica's natural beauty and volcanic splendour. We took an early morning trip to the infamous waterfall, which was just as magnificent as I was expecting.



Our final evening in La Fortuna was one of the most memorable moments of my trip. Our local guide took us to a natural hot spring in the early evening, which was pretty much in the middle of nowhere and a place I would never have been able to find on my own! We spent the evening drinking beers in the natural jacuzzi, with fireflies hovering around us until we were in total darkness and had to navigate our way back through the jungle.



Our final stop in Costa Rica was the cloud forest of Monteverde. This was another beautiful destination which was fantastic for wildlife and scenery. I would recommend going on a night walking tour if you want to see Sloths and other jungle creatures. Plus, I loved going for a self guided walk through the Santa Elena cloud forest, as the trees were spectacular and we saw a number of species of bird.


Thank you so much for reading this post!

Much love,
Lizzie xx
SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave

1 comment

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Instagram!

© Sun Meets Moon. Design by FCD.